SOLVED: Murder Of Socially Outgoing Barbara Jean Maclean

Read The File
Unsupported Browser! This website will offer limited functionality in this browser. We only support the recent versions of major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge.
UCF #104200149

Decades Later, No New Clues To Fate Of All Six Pickering Boys


Jay, Chad Smith, Robbie Rumboldt, Jamie Lefebvre, Michael Cummins, Danny Higgins

Six Pickering Boys

Updated

Private investigator Bruce Ricketts is seeking the identity of three people seen on security footage around the same time six teenage boys went missing in Pickering in 1995.

Pickering, Ontario — , in what would become a fateful headline, the 'Lost Boys' of Lake Ontario - and an unsolved case of multiple missing persons - has left many questions unanswered for decades.

After leaving a neighborhood basement party on a cold night a group of six teenage boys (who had been drinking) headed out for some clandestine 'goofing around' at the Lake Ontario.

The last time the Lost Boys were seen was when they stumbled into the marina on March 17, 1995 after a night of partying. Jay Boyle, 17, was with Chad Smith, 18, Robbie Rumboldt, 17, all of Pickering; Jamie Lefebvre, 17, of Scarborough; Michael Cummins, 17, of Oshawa; and Danny Higgins, 16, of Ajax.


Jay was tall and muscular, and had a blazing fastball that labelled him as a baseball phenom in his early teens. He'd done time for assault and was facing more assault and weapons charges. He also had a daughter with his girlfriend Monique, who shared a rented basement apartment with Boyle.

That night, Boyle's mother was taking care of baby Kierra, who turned 29 this year (2023). The boys broke into two marinas and stole a four-metre imitation Boston Whaler, and made off with that, a three-wheeled paddleboat they boosted the night before and a case of beer they found in another boat. Residents heard the sound of a motorboat at 2:30 and 3 a.m., but the boys were never seen again.

A massive search effort was underway 36 hours after the boys were last seen. Durham and Toronto Police were joined by the Coast Guard, a Hercules C-130 aircraft and a helicopter from the Canadian Forces base in Trenton.

Nothing was ever found. None of their bodies nor the boats they were on have ever been found.

Remains encased in a pair of red pants were found in the Niagara River in 1998
Remains encased in a pair of red pants were found in the Niagara River in 1998. When Pickering teenager Jay Boyle went missing in 1995, he was wearing a pair of red Levi's jeans. Private investigator Bruce Ricketts and the family of Jay have been waiting for DNA results on the pants. - Torstar photo.

Forensic testing on a piece of clothing found in the Niagara River has yielded no new clues as to the fate of a group of teens. It took more than five years to get results of tests on a pair of distinctive red jeans found in 1998.

Boyle's family knew the DNA testing was a long shot, but still hoped it may provide some answer to the lingering questions they have about what happened to Jay and his friends. Instead, all the family has is their ongoing uncertainty.


"They got a significant amount of DNA from the jeans … but it didn't match my brother," said Siobhan Boyle, whose 17-year-old brother Jay Boyle disappeared along 5 other teens.

It is believed the six stole a boat and a water tricycle from a marina, then took to the frigid waters of Lake Ontario for an ill-fated joy ride. None have been heard from since.

Three of the boys were caught on a surveillance video at 1:48 a.m. on March 17. Ricketts said DRPS showed screen captures from the video to the parents who identified the three boys as Jamie, Robbie and Michael.

Security footage around the same time six teenage boys went missing
Private investigator Bruce Ricketts is seeking the identity of three people seen on security footage around the same time six teenage boys went missing in Pickering in 1995. Ricketts only recently viewed the footage and is asking either the people in the video, or people who may know them, to contact him. - Bruce Ricketts photo.

Ricketts noted three people - two females and one male - entering the marina service area a short time after the missing boys were seen on the tape.

Ricketts explained the three new individuals walked across the lot, when suddenly the male moved ahead, turned to face the females and held out his arm as if he was pointing something. The video is too low resolution to make out faces or what the male might have been holding.

"These three persons are potential witnesses to what happened that night at the marina, decades years ago, and could shed a crucial light on this case," Ricketts said.

Ricketts is asking for anyone with knowledge of the event or who might know the identity of the three individuals to come forward to his tip line at lostboys.tipline@gmail.com.

Matt Northway

Matt Northway

See more Case Files contributed by Matt Northway.

Update This Story

9 + 3 = ?
Kevin Wesley Martin
FEATURE
Kevin Wesley Martin

On May 19, 1994, Kevin Wesley Martin was reported missing. On November 13, 2000, commercial loggers discovered his remains buried in a shallow grave.
Featured for 30 days

People see some homeless people in Downtown Vancouver and think it's this super dangerous place, but then forget that the other 99.9% of the people are law abiding citizens. On a per capita basis many smaller places are much more dangerous.

Make a donation
We Need Your Support!

Our work goes beyond data collection and is independent from Government and Institutional funding. Your support is critical in making this possible.

Murders In Windsor
POPULAR
Murders In Windsor

The 1980 murder of Kirk Knight; the 1982 murder of 31-year-old Marlene Sweet and her 7-year-old son Jason; the 2003 killings of 30-year-old Debilleanne "Dee Dee" Williamson and her son 5-year-old Brandon "Xavier" Rucker.
Windsor, Ontario

Subscribe

Do not miss a story!

Get notified for new unsolved cases


Unsubscribe at any time. Privacy Policy

News

Trial For B.C. Man Accused Of Killing, Dismembering Wife Begins 

The trial for a Langley man accused of killing his wife began Monday, with the prosecutor laying out a disturbing series of facts agreed upon by both Crown and defence.

Coroner's Inquest Begins In Death Of Indigenous Man Shot By Northern Ont. Police 

Three northern Ont. police officers who shot and killed an Indigenous man four years ago were cleared of wrongdoing and now a coroner's inquest is underway to prevent similar incidents in the future.